Jordan calls for beefing up of Royal Navy Protection Force to combat illegal migration 

  

UKIP Cllr. Noel Jordan calls for beefing up of Royal Navy Protection Force to combat illegal migration and enforce UK fishing rights after Brexit



Speaking at the launch of UKIP’s 2016 Assembly Election Manifesto, UKIP’s Northern Ireland Chairman, Councilor Noel Jordan, who is also Candidate for East Antrim in the Assembly elections has called for investment in and support for the Royal Navy Protection Force to monitor and combat illegal migration and enforce UK fishing rights after Brexit. He said: 

“All of our island nations – in Northern Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, and including the Republic of Ireland – have a common shared interest in controlling, policing and protecting our borders, are sea boundaries and our shores with both Europe and the rest of the world. 

 Interestingly, UKIP’s position of leaving the EU Common Fisheries policy, under which restricts our fishing industry to catch less than 20% of the fish in British waters with the other 80% of the catch to the rest of Europe. This would see the rebirth of Northern Ireland’s fishing and fish processing industries. Yes, this would require a major upgrading of the UK Royal Navy’s Fishery Protection Squadron to police a new 12-mile limit around the coast for British fishermen and a 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone under UK control and would assist an improved patrolling of the seas around Britain and Ireland to monitor and counter not only fisheries infringements but also illegal migration by sea.”

Cllr. Jordan added:

“It is also interesting using Australia’s example, whose points system methods for migrants UKIP wants to adopt and who combat illegal migration through the use of its Royal Navy. The Royal Australian Navy is used to intercept illegal migrants travelling by boat and return them to Indonesian waters. That is how Australia stopped the people smuggling and people trafficking that seemed at one point to be unstoppable. If we leave the EU, our coastal waters could become our first line of defense.”

Advertisements

Comments are closed.