McNarry – Anger is spreading across the UK over DRD decision to knock out Wrightbus in favour of Van Hool in Belgium.
“This is part of the price we pay for being in the E.U – what is the point in allowing other countries to protect their jobs and industries when we don’t protect ourselves.
“I believe this was a done deal with Van Hool before the contract went out for open tender – just look over the evidence given by Translink & Departmental Officials when quizzed especially by myself over Belfast Rapid Transit. It was all smoke and mirrors.
“I am embarking on my own investigation of what officials told to the DRD Committee. Meantime I have tabled this set of questions to Minister McIlveen. I have spoken to UKIP-MEP colleagues about this contract award regarding E.U. grants. Initially they are disbelieving that such a substantial contract £19 million has slipped out of local hands into the laps of Belgium.”
Questions for answer:
- At what stage was Wrightbus eliminated from the contract decision on awarding the contract for vehicles for the Belfast Rapid Transit system?
- Was the vehicle type, companies were required to tender for, to supply vehicles for the Belfast Rapid Transit system identical?
- How many tenders were received competing for the Belfast Rapid Transit system?
- What grants did the Belgium Government approve to Van Hool for the purpose of their tendering for the Belfast Rapid Transit system?
- What EU grants did Van Hool incorporate in their successful tender for the Belfast Rapid Transit system contract?
- What grants did the Northern Ireland Executive offer to Wrightbus for the tendering purpose for the Belfast Rapid Transit system?
- What is the contract value for maintenance and specialist support services and length of contract to Road Trucks Ltd in connection with the Belfast Rapid Transit system?
- Ultimately into whose responsibility will the ownership of vehicles supplied by Van Hool for the Belfast Rapid Transit system be?
- How many jobs will Belgium benefit from by Van Hool being awarded the Belfast Rapid Transit vehicle contract?
- What role will local Translink employees have in the maintenance and servicing of the Van Hool vehicles?
- What is the final overall cost for the inclusive Belfast Rapid Transit system going to be?
- Are Translink employees required to be given additional training to operate the Van Hool vehicles on the Belfast Rapid Transit routes?
- What extra costs or special payments are likely to arise from the Belfast Rapid Transit system using the type of Van Hool bus commissioned